Dry Hopping

• astretch
  • astretch's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 2 months ago #1 by astretch
astretch replied the topic: Dry Hopping
Sounds great. I just dumped the two ounces in the primary for 7 days. I didn't swirl or anything. Still tasted great ... hell I thought it was great before drying hopping. If it's carbed up enough, I'm going to try to bring a growler to the meeting tonight.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #2 by joe t
joe t replied the topic: Dry Hopping
Like Mike, I only dry hop IPAs. First I cold crash 2-3 days to drop the yeast. Otherwise some of the hopness will stick to the yeast and drop out with it. Then I raise the temperature to ~70f because the hop oils dissolve better at the warmer temperature. I rack to secondary only if i want to harvest the yeast. Hop pellets go in naked because a big blob of hops in a bag doesn't have good contact with the beer. Pellets because they are way easier than whole cone. Dry hop 3-5 days, swirling daily until all the hop goo floating on top sinks to the bottom. When racking I zip tie a nylon straining bag to the OUTLET of my siphon hose to catch any hops that get sucked up. Don't use a super fine mesh bag for this, it may clog. Works well for siphoning off fruit in the fermenter too. Just kegged my IPA yesterday and it's damn good! I'll bring a growler to Monday's meeting. Cheers!
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by joe t.

More
2 years 2 months ago #3 by PepeSylvia
PepeSylvia replied the topic: Dry Hopping
I really only ever dryhop my pale's and IPA's But usually just put pellets directly in for 3-5 days.

I just had a taste of someone's homebrewed IPA that was dry hopped for 30 days, they put an ounce in every 5 days and didn't rack off the old or anything until they were done. The beer was really friggin good. I might experiment....

Hi

More
2 years 2 months ago #4 by roycevaughn
roycevaughn replied the topic: Dry Hopping
As per my own reasearch...

Jeremy Marshall method:
Rack beer off of yeast after fermentation - then dry hop. 4 days dry hop at 68 F, swirl the carboy 2 days in - then either rack off the hops or drop to conditioning temp to stop the extraction of "undesirable" flavors.

I really like the flavor of his beer, but it never really has that "grassy" bite, which is nice on occasion. Maybe dry hopping longer, with higher temperature, or more hops (?) could get those more aggressive flavors?

• astretch
  • astretch's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 2 months ago #5 by astretch
astretch created the topic: Dry Hopping
What's everyone method for dry hopping? I've just dumped my pellet hops in the primary. I know I've read were people use bags and what not. What about duration? Does the time you leave the dry hops in the beer change by hop type, by recipe or do you have a specific time you leave them in for all recipes?

Time to create page: 0.515 seconds